These were my Top 5 Shooters of the year, what were yours?

My favorite shooters of the year.  Its a tough one, and there were some really good shooters I didn't even mention, like Dishonored, Sniper Elite V2, Max Payne 3, Medal of Honor... the list goes on!  What were your personal favorite shooters of the year?

Last edited by Smallkiwi: 1/2/2013 9:52:39 PM

This is a tough list to make, so many good games this year, but I'd say...

1. Dishonored
    2. Far Cry 3
    3. Gotham City Impostors
    4. Halo 4
    5. Spec Ops: The Line

Really tough, though, and I'm sure this list will look ridiculous to me in an hour.

Edit: Also, Starhawk. That game was great and didn't get any credit for being creative, innovative and fun.

Last edited by NateRios: 1/2/2013 10:34:02 PM

While DayZ wasn't the most polished game, I think its popularity and innovation could have got it some consideration for this list. In 2012, a new genre was born thanks to DayZ!

Regarding games that should have really be considered and probably made this list, I would have to say Dishonored.

Games that shouldn't have made this list: Tribes and NS2. Tribes was innovative, but not really that fun except for a small amount of people. I loved NS2 and it was extremely original, but I wouldn't place it over Dishonored or Halo 4.

I'm pretty disappointed with the shooters of 2012, I can't think of one that's worth the #1 slot in my mind. But I guess I have high standards... and I haven't played them all. Desperately need to play more Borderlands 2, only got a few missions into it, as well as Far Cry 3 and of course Natural Selection 2. Maybe my opinion will change once I sink my teeth into them. I'm more for a good multiplayer experience though, and I don't play on consoles so Halo is out of the question. Nothing clicks with me, the last shooter I really enjoyed was MW2 and CSS before that. Kind of annoyed about it, I keep getting my hopes up for a game that will win me over, like PS2 or Bo2 but they all fall flat in my eyes.

No piticular order, my top 5 contenders would be:

Black Ops 2

Borderlands 2

Tribes Ascend

CS:GO (I guess)

I seriously can't even think of a 5th for this list. Nothing worth my time.

Quote from NateRios »

1. Dishonored
    2. Far Cry 3
    3. Gotham City Impostors
    4. Halo 4

Really tough, though, and I'm sure this list will look ridiculous to me in an hour.

I never played Gotham City Impostors, how was it?  What would you liken it to?

Quote from Smokie »

While DayZ wasn't the most polished game, I think its popularity and innovation could have got it some consideration for this list. In 2012, a new genre was born thanks to DayZ!

Regarding games that should have really be considered and probably made this list, I would have to say Dishonored.

Games that shouldn't have made this list: Tribes and NS2. Tribes was innovative, but not really that fun except for a small amount of people. I loved NS2 and it was extremely original, but I wouldn't place it over Dishonored or Halo 4.

You're probably right about DayZ.  Its not my cup of tea, but the fact that it was probably THE game of 2012 should have earned it a spot on the list.  Noting NS2 for its originality and then placing halo 4 above it is kind of silly imo. ;)

Quote from Smallkiwi »

Quote from NateRios »

1. Dishonored
    2. Far Cry 3
    3. Gotham City Impostors
    4. Halo 4

I never played Gotham City Impostors, how was it?  What would you liken it to?

That is the beauty of Gotham City Impostors, you can't liken it to anything really. The core mechanics are similar to Call of Duty, I suppose..custom classes, perks, equipment, etc. But the beauty is in the incredible creativity that Monolith put into the weapons, gadgets, costumes, perks, everything. The concept is that Gotham City has been overrun by vigilantes trying to be like Batman and the Joker.

The weapons and gadgets are totally homebrewed and look like stuff created in some guys garage in Gotham City, because that's basically where they were supposed to have been designed. 

Very creative, but the gameplay is as solid as anything I have played all year. Multiplayer-only and a lot of fun, definitely recommend it on Steam for like ten bucks.

Quote from Smallkiwi »

Quote from Smokie »

You're probably right about DayZ.  Its not my cup of tea, but the fact that it was probably THE game of 2012 should have earned it a spot on the list.  Noting NS2 for its originality and then placing halo 4 above it is kind of silly imo. ;)

A game can be super original and not fun at all simultaneously. Natural Selection 2 mastered this concept.

My top five goes something like this:

1. Borderlands 2
    2. Black Ops 2 
    3. Shootmania
    4. Far Cry 3
    5. Planetside 2/Tribes

Worst 5 games:

1. Nexuiz
    2. Born to Fire
    3. MoH: Warfighter
    4. Offensive Combat
    5. Primal Carnage (actually that one is kinda fun)

Quote from NateRios»

A game can be super original and not fun at all simultaneously. Natural Selection 2 mastered this concept.

Oh man I couldn't disagree more.  NS2 is very original, thats a given, but the beauty if it is just how exciting the game can be, and how well it manages to repackage some of the tension we experienced in movies like Alien/Aliens.

Last edited by Smallkiwi: 1/2/2013 11:37:03 PM

NS2 was very fun.

Regarding Gotham City Imposters... I tried to play it the other day but couldn't find a single game to play in. It looked dead - I waited in queue for like 10 mins. I wish I could try it :\

Farcry 3

Farcry 3

Farcry 3

Farcry 3

Farcry 3

I don't usualy play single player games , but damn that story was awesome!

Quote from Michael3D »

Farcry 3

Farcry 3

Farcry 3

Farcry 3

Farcry 3

I don't usualy play single player games , but damn that story was awesome!

Maybe I'll have to snatch this game up after-all.

Far Cry 3 was the sickest single player game I've played in awhile. The multi-player wasn't the greatest, but that story was amazing. 

Only got around to beating it really recently but I personally loved Sniper Elite v2 :D  Not sure where I would put it on a list, but i had fun.

Hi I know this isn't realty relevant but do any of u guys have the same problem as me or offer a fix 

i play farcry 3 on Xbox I have several sorces to decode they work on Xbox but if I go on to the farcrt 3 outpost it sais I have no data sources to decode  same with the mobile app ! Please help me Thanks ! 

Quote from Xxlewbo2000xX »

Hi I know this isn't realty relevant but do any of u guys have the same problem as me or offer a fix 

i play farcry 3 on Xbox I have several sorces to decode they work on Xbox but if I go on to the farcrt 3 outpost it sais I have no data sources to decode  same with the mobile app ! Please help me Thanks ! 

I would uninstall the application and re-install it on your mobile device. Make sure you log in to your Uplay account - and make sure, if you have more than on Uplay account, that you are logged into the same one on your Xbox 360 as on the Outpost app. Report back if that doesn't work, I'll see if I can help!

I remember staying home because I was sick and I beat sniper elite v2 in 2 hours tops, It was fun for the time being.

Quote from sKadoodle »

I remember staying home because I was sick and I beat sniper elite v2 in 2 hours tops, It was fun for the time being.

I agree with you, not really a lot of replay value, it seems. It's satisfying to get long shots and stuff, but not really worth a full replay in my opinion.

Last edited by NateRios: 1/23/2013 1:24:19 AM

Anyone remember that old sniper arcade game? I used to play the shit out of that at the arcade in middle school. I think that was the last sniper-focused game I played. 

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes