Bethesda Softworks announced this morning that they will be publishing a brand new entry into the Wolfenstein franchise. Oddly enough, this is one of the franchises that we proposed rebooting in our feature article yesterday. We can only assume that Bethesda read our post and instantly rebooted the franchise based on our suggestion. That being said, you're welcome everyone.
As for the game, it's going to be called Wolfenstein: The New Order. So what can you expect from the game?
At this time, we don't know much about The New Order but that will change in the coming weeks. What we do know, however, is what Wolfenstein games have been like in the past and that should give us an idea of what to expect with this upcoming title.
The story in Wolfenstein games changes from title to title but the core concept remains the same, so while we don't have too many concrete details yet, a few educated guesses would suggest that:
- BJ Blazkowicz will likely be the character that players take control of in The New Order.
- The main force of enemies will be Nazi soldiers.
- If multiplayer exists, which it most likely will, possible factions could be Axis and Allies as in Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
- As a pioneer in FPS gaming, The New Order will be played from the first-person perspective.
- While Nazi's are the main enemy force, the game does feature robotic enemies presumably built by the Nazi empire (as seen in the announcement trailer above).
- The game is powered by id Tech 5, id Software's proprietary game engine.
- Swedish developer MachineGames is handling development and design on The New Order and hope to "bring a new chapter of Wolfenstein to gamers everywhere."
Stay tuned to FPS General as we continue to cover Wolfenstein: The New Order!
What do you want to see in the next edition of Wolfenstein? Let us know in the comments below!