If you've been following the shooter scene over the past few weeks, you've doubtless heard the name Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon bandied about.
The catch here, however, is that Ubisoft has released virtually no press information on the game whatsoever.
On April 1st, a website was launched for something called Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. The website looks like Tron meets a Wham! photoshoot, quite a far cry from the tropical paradise of...Far Cry.
Given that the site was launched on April Fool's Day, most everyone simply assumed that it was a gag - albeit a very elaborate one.
It wasn't, however, an April Fool's Day prank.
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is happening, so we wanted to look back and gather up everything that we know about the game in one place. Here's a brief history of what we know about Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.
Today, however, a listing was posted on Xbox.com suggesting that the game is real and that it's coming May 1st. Here's what we know:
- Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon takes place in 2007, despite the graphics and color themes that bring the 1980's to mind.
- This is a true standalone spin-off, meaning that you don't need a copy of Far Cry 3 to play Blood Dragon.
- The official description of the game reads:
THE Kick-Ass Cyber Shooter taking place on a bizarre open-world island crawling with evil. Welcome to an 80’s VHS vision of the future. The year is 2007 and you are Sargent Rex Colt, a Mark IV Cyber Commando who’s fighting against a cyborg army gone rogue. Your mission: get the girl, kill the baddies, and save the world. Experience every cliché of a VHS era vision of a nuclear future, where cyborgs, blood dragons, mutants, and Michael Biehn (Terminator, Aliens, Navy Seals) collide.
- As you may have read, the game stars Michael Biehn - best known for his work in Terminator and Aliens.
- The soundtrack for the game was composed by Powerglove and is amazing.
- Xbox Achievements list teases VHS tape collection, a bow weapon and several other in-game features we don't want to spoil.
- Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon was given an 18+ rating by an Australian ratings board for a 'high impact sex scene'.
We also have a decent amount of screenshots from the game that reinforce the neon-happy, 1980's pallete in the best way possible as well as the box art for the game which you can see at the top of this post. While it has only been confirmed on Xbox Live, it looks like the game will be coming to PlayStation 3 and PC as well.
Stay tuned for more on Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, and if you have something that we've missed, be sure to post up a comment so we can edit this story.